Writer In Motion Forum

Author Topic: First Impressions! Calming yet mysterious  (Read 1931 times)

Fariha Khayyam

• I am a Writer In Motion
    • View Profile
First Impressions! Calming yet mysterious
« on: August 03, 2020, 12:41:09 AM »
Hey!

Okay so when WIM Round 3 was announced, I almost dropped my phone on my face and immediately told my cousin (who had previously sat through all my rumblings about my WIM stories). I participated in WIM Round 1 and it has led me to discover great characters who are currently taking me on a journey, currently drafted at 30k. When WIM Round 2 came around, I had so much going on in life with exams and work, I wasn't able to continue after its first week.

Now, as the world opens its door again after all what has happened; I -the introvert- still continues to sit and continue typing on my laptop. As a pantser, photo prompts are one of my favorite methods of coming up with new ideas, and WIM Round 3 prompt did not disappoint!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

I saw the tweet that the prompt was live (on Aug 1), I was middle of an errand when I quickly looked it up. Initially it looked like a calming scene of a cabin atop a grassy hill and mountains in the backdrop. I showed it to my siblings and asked them what they feel first. Both said, it looks creepy and lonely! - something which I'm not feeling!

Later that night, I looked closely at the photo. Is that fog in the mountains at the back? Or mist perhaps? The cabin is awfully small and not maintained well, seeing the moldy walls. The cabin faces towards the mountains in the background, where I assume the door would be, as we only see a shuttered window in the photo and unkept grass and weeds (idk?). Is it some sort of lookout post? Or a shepherd's hut while his cattle graze?

After sleeping on it, the next day (on Aug 2), I looked at the prompt once again. The initial relaxed feeling was still there but I was getting mysterious and mystic vibes from it. As a fantasy writer, I couldn't help but listen to the pang of "it's not what it seems to be". Why would someone trek all the way up the hill and only to stay in a small battered cabin? It seems to lack any modern-day capabilities, light, internet, etc. It can be a great spot for a murder mystery also! There is also no walk-trail and why is the cabin so small!

I'm also having a beginning of a character in mind - a young girl, a witch? An outcast?, but I'll but hopping on Pinterest to solidify some of the ideas bouncing my head.

I'm planning on sticking my mystic-vibes but let's see where this goes!

PS: I usually post on my blog, but it's under major renovation/issues so I'll be posting WIM Round 3 on this forum.

:)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 12:43:16 AM by Fariha Khayyam »

K. J. Harrowick

• Administrator
  • Insta-gator
    • View Profile
    • K. J. Harrowick
Re: First Impressions! Calming yet mysterious
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 12:22:40 AM »
Farihaaaaa... I'm so glad you joined us again!

I love reading all the little details you found in the prompt, and you know I'm eagerly waiting to see what you come up with.  :taco:

Fariha Khayyam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 01:37:48 AM »
Farihaaaaa... I'm so glad you joined us again!

I love reading all the little details you found in the prompt, and you know I'm eagerly waiting to see what you come up with.  :taco:

KJ!! Thank you! It's great to have WIM back in action with a great prompt  :heart: :taco:

SKaeth

• WIM Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Space Cows
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 12:39:38 AM »
Fariha! I'm so glad you're back!

I love how you have your first snap-impressions and then further ones from looking more closely at various details! This is going to be great!

Fariha Khayyam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 03:29:42 PM »
Fariha! I'm so glad you're back!

I love how you have your first snap-impressions and then further ones from looking more closely at various details! This is going to be great!

Thanks SK! Great to have you join as well.  ;D The prompt has so many layers, every time I see a new thing Lol!