Writer In Motion Forum

Author Topic: Linda Scott - social sciences & space opera/SF/F - usu. LGBTQIA+/neurodivergent  (Read 726 times)

Linda_Scott

• I am a Writer In Motion
    • View Profile
Name: Linda M. Scott
Preferred Pronouns: they/them

Bio: I've been quite complacently spinning space opera, SF & F since I was about 14.  My brother was my bestie and my audience forever.  He was very forgiving about unfinished epics, but when I lost him in 2018, the little guys on my shoulders began insisting that I actually finish book-length drafts and find them a new audience.  NaNoWriMo got me moving in that direction.  Now I've got a stack of unedited novel drafts that need some TLC and to be marketed for publication.

What type of stories do you write?
I'm an anthropologist, and I include social-scientific themes in all my fiction.  That can be grappling with cultural relativity in the first-contact encounter, troubling the waters of "normal" human development, asking the tough legal questions about clones, pushing back against gender norms, smashing patriarchies, setting utopias and dystopias against one another, sustaining focus on our biological realities, or pitting horizontal vs. vertical social systems against one another.

What are you working on right now?
Two WIPs have shelved all my others for the moment:

One is a first-contact narrative from an alien's perspective (the same universe as my trilogy draft, but with the encounter inverted).  It's humorous and disastrous in roughly equal quantities. 

The other is a dark fantasy piece about an assassin finding their way through a post-apocalyptic wasteland with a holy toddler in tow.  It's very much not The Mandalorian.

There is also a trilogy begging for editing: I am calling it The Telanera Contagion.  Dr. Ash Telanera, a forensic anthropologist working on failed colonies, stumbles upon a sentient alien species and must navigate the situation.  Whether or not they will cause a disastrous war in the process is anybody's guess.

My Writer In Motion Project:
"Against Humanity"

Connect With Me:

Short Works:
WTAFiction

My (fledgling, in-construction) website:
Linda Scott Books

Personal social media:
Facebook (please send a message)
Instagram