Writer In Motion Forum

Author Topic: Writer In Motion Brainstorming Central - How to Use This Forum  (Read 1091 times)

SKaeth

• WIM Moderator
  • I am a Writer In Motion
    • View Profile
    • Space Cows
So the prompt has dropped, and you're stuck. Nothing comes to mind at all when you look at the image, except for panic. You signed up for this wacky new thing and you're going to be posting your first draft but all your words have fled for the hills. What to do now?

Don't worry, we're here for you! Writer In Motion isn't just writing; it's also a community, and you are not alone. This forum is for you.

Remember the advice of the editors on what to do if you get stuck:
Tyler: "Ooooooo hmmm, honestly I'd say look at the prompt for a bit and if nothing comes up then step away for a little bit. Do something else. Your subconscious will keep thinking about it as you meditate, take a walk, wash dishes, etc, and eventually, something will pop up."
Carly: "It varies from author to author. Some do well with researching the photo. Others, maybe pick a specific item from the prompt, not the thing as a whole. Still write what you love, just let it inform on the shape of the story."
Justine: "I am a big proponent of the free write. I would start by sitting down and describing what you see. You don't need a plan. You don't need a story. Write for twenty minutes just following your senses and see what comes out."
Jeni: "We will have a place in the #WriterInMotion forums to brainstorm with other writers. Sometimes talking things out is the only way to really get the creativity flowing."

How to use this area:

Go ahead and start a new thread. Post how you?re feeling about the prompt and your initial thoughts. You can use it as a brain dump, and if you still aren?t coming up with anything, reach out for help from other writers!

Here's a sample to get you started:

Name: Burritos R Better'nTacos
Thread: I look at this lighthouse picture, and yeah, it's cool, but what am I going to do? I write strictly sci-fi and this is not that at all. I'm stressed. I don't like oceans in general--I get terribly seasick and have you seen what salt spray does to tortillas? I took a walk and came back, and I'm thinking about that big scary ocean. Maybe I'll focus on that. I can mash that feel up with a sci-fi setting, but I still don't have a clear idea.
Can anyone help by tossing out more suggestions? Fifi McTaco, do you have any ideas too? Thanks so much!