Writer In Motion Forum

Author Topic: Waiting To Jump: CP Round  (Read 1075 times)

Grim Dreamer

• I am a Writer In Motion
    • View Profile
Waiting To Jump: CP Round
« on: November 17, 2019, 04:29:48 PM »
WIM Third Week Post: CP Round
Part 1: Processing

This weekend, Waiting to Jump went to three critique partners. I thought I would start this week with a post on how I process feedback--general (this week's round) and targeted (next week's round).

To be honest, I always open these documents feeling something akin to despair. Not only do I expect to be confronted with things that people don't like, the document itself is now visually overwhelming. But once I get over the nausea, I settle down and take out a yellow legal pad. I give each critique partner a third of a page with their name as a header. If I was doing it with a novel, each chapter gets a page with the critique partner's name on it. Then I'll settle down with a cup of tea and read the comments for each document as dispassionately as possible.

It used to bother me that readers would have such different ideas of my "problems" and how to fix them. Particularly galling were comments where one reader loved something, and another found it cut-worthy. I'd stamp around and wonder why people couldn't be objective. Confronting feedback from multiple critique partners is bound to result in a number of opinions on your story: all of them valid, all of them different, and all of them subjective, and each with different ideas of how your story could be improved. So, what do you change?

Exactly what you want to change.

Here's how I process CP feedback.

First, I find where all three CPs agree that something isn't working. I write each comment on that particular part of the story down under each CP's name. Even if I disagree, this particular part of the story needs attention.

Barring agreement on a developmental issue, I also look at lines that got comments. If one line gets three different comments, it means that something about that line is drawing attention to itself.  It's sticking out. Maybe sticking out too much! Good prose should be seamless. It should not distract. If my prose is stabbing people in the eyeballs, I may be spending too much time trying to make my words beautiful instead of making my story beautiful.

Secondly, I find where two CP's agree that something isn't working. Same if there is a line that has been commented twice. I will look at these carefully. If I agree that there's an issue there, it's on my list to be checked.

All remaining comments will be filtered through the lens of my vision. I looked hard at this critique round for one item on my revision list. Was my story surreal enough, in keeping with what I wanted for the piece from the beginning?

Here is how Waiting to Jump fared in the critique round:

0 agreement of comments in developmental issues.

Five lines with consistent comments.
--1st sentence
--copied on by mistake
---nailed him by numbers
--he'd have to jump
--trapped behind the glass
--knew who Batlady was

No feedback was uniform on these lines. However, they seemed to catch a writer's eye, and so I'll look at them and see what I can do to make them better.

Where my story didn't fare as well? Suspension of disbelief when it came to the pseudo-realistic details of the story: Kenny's job, his firing, his ability to get back in the building with his weapon of self-destruction, and how he gets out again. This is a problem, because I wrote this story with a surreal idea in mind. The first draft in particular had the feel of a very skewed reality throughout.

The question I must ask now is how to achieve that surrealism from beginning to end without having any question arise of "how can this happen?" I want to resolve in this next draft, drifting closer to my idea of something utterly fantastic from line one to line's end. I'll have to dig a little deeper to create the piece I have in mind.

Another item that came up is a need for a touch more emotional reaction by Kenny in the piece. This is an area where I expected to have trouble, but given that there are exactly two areas that need attention on this front, I'm hoping to incorporate some of the surreal into the emotional impact of the story, too.

After sorting critique feedback, a little chat with a trusted CP, and a special adviser on the accounting aspect of Kenny's life, I'm ready to tackle the second part of CP feedback. Brainstorming.

https://rebeccafryar.com/blog/

Grim Dreamer

• View Profile
Re: Waiting To Jump: CP Round
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 02:41:35 PM »
WIM Week 3: CP round

Part 2: Brainstorming

When I filtered my feedback to look at ideas and lines that could use attention in my self-edited draft. I had two critiques that raised two separate issues: plausibility for the realistic parts of the piece, and more emotional impact.
The second issue, I'll just have to do my best. Emotional impact is hard, particularly in a short piece where you don't have room to use a lot of techniques. Plus, Kenny is an accountant. Emotional spilling probably isn't his style. Thoughts will have to do.

For the first, it's time to brainstorm.

Some questions raised included the details of Kenny's firing, how he finds out, how he gets back into the building, and how he gets both in, and out, with his gas can, and then with the lady without being questioned. Additionally, the idea that Batlady is just allowed to be a secretary seemed implausible because of records. These are all places where I could either work to resolve them in a realistic way, or I could seek the fantastic. Because I'm going for magical realism, I wanted to start with the fantastic. Additionally, I put a request into a special adviser of mine to work on the realism, should I want to incorporate more melding of the realism and the fantasy.

I'm starting with the concept of firing. What if firing means actual fire? What if Kenny, being a loner, chooses to forgo the pleasure of dying with the other fire-ees, preferring to burn himself up and his workplace with it? What if Batlady really did work there, and being pinned on the wall as a "motivational" poster was her punishment, or a way to contain her? Has Kenny known that employees who fought the company in the past ended up on the walls? Is this why he has such an attachment to his "lady" who seems to be in solidarity with him when it comes to having a deep hatred of what the corporation represents?

What about when they leave? Why don't the security guards stop them? Why don't they recognize that Kenny is leaving with someone else from the building, someone they didn't see go in with him? What is the most fantastic way I could resolve that? My mind is running to another word for firing, "being let go". Can I use that idea and twist it in some way, showing the security guards that at least these two people have truly escaped the corporation, giving them hope for their future? I already have a section where it is hinted at that Batlady weaves cloaks for those who would change their fate, and Kenny has changed his life, but still uses his skills to support them. Is he using those skills to help others, too? What kind of magical skill does he have that I can add to help with some of the suspension of disbelief for not only the reader, but Kenny?
Kenny radiates no surprise when he helps Batlady out of the picture. That's intentional. I felt absolutely no surprise from him as I wrote it. I can't put fake surprise there. It has to be his genuine feeling for what is happening when he rescues the woman in the picture. What about the emotional impact of that moment? Will adding those brainstorming ideas give me more scope for triggering deep emotions concerning Kenny's actual dead-end job, his chance at a new life with this leap of faith, of daring to step outside his reality and find new hope?

How many more words will this add to my piece? How much I can do and not compromise the story or add new content that needs explanation?

After a brainstorming session with myself, I let this simmer for about 24 hours, letting the thoughts pile up. Very little of this could be useful. Some of it may be. I won't know until it's time to redraft.

Grim Dreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 03:24:16 PM »
WIM Week 3

Brainstorming

Part 3: Insider Information

Brainstorming with other writers is another way I sometimes generate solutions for problems that crop up in writing. I'm a firm believer that there's no way on earth I can know everything about everything I write. Despite self-education, reading lots of non-fiction, and studying my characters to understand the intricacies of their professions, in reality, I only have so much time to do these things.

Enter insider opinions. I'm lucky enough to have a family member well-versed in the magical art of accounting. She also writes fantasy. So, when I got a critique calling some of my plot points into question, I turned to my insider for some practical and magical answers to those questions.

Item 1: Kenny's firing. He finds out in an email that he accesses on his phone. He comes in, knowing that he's fired, and this is his last day. HR screwed up and that's how he got the email in the first place. Moreover, he's the cause of his own firing. He suggested a reduction in force to keep the company looking equal or only a little better than the competition. He just didn't expect them to "kill the messenger".

Item 2: Kenny's ability to get back into the building. He swipes someone else's keycard. No picture ID on these, and he gets in without a problem. How he swipes the card--he had his own magical ability as an employee, elegantly stated in one sentence. People believe everything he says. If he takes a card and tells the guy he gave it back, he'll be believed, at least until that guy tries to come into work after hours. If he tells security he's carrying a box for his things, he'll be believed automatically. Same if he walks out and says the woman came in with him. No questions. It's his special gift, and one that perhaps his company should have appreciated a little more.

Item 3: How does the woman help Kenny get the information he needs? She's an employee with her own skills, including the one of putting herself into things she makes. Among the motivational posters, perhaps she is a watercolor under glass, having out herself into her art in order to spy on the company. Maybe she can also put herself into other things she made, like some of the systems there in the accounting department. It also solves the problem of whether or not she was an employee. She was. Perhaps she was fired, like Kenny, but put herself into a painting to spy on her former employers, and gather information for use in a trial when she had enough information and an employee with the gift of convincing people of the truth.

While I may not use all of these potential solutions, they could fix something that has bothered me about the lady on the wall. The suggestions also add an edge to Kenny's character that I like, and give him a closer connection to the reason he is fired. Additionally, it explains why no one at all ever finds out who Batlady is.

Combining some of this brainstorm with some of the more surrealistic options I brainstormed yesterday may very well push this story into new, and interesting territory.

I'm thinking this person is getting an extra-special gift this holiday season!

Fabierien

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 06:29:38 PM »
I cannot wait to see how you bring this all together in the final draft. You paint such a great image with your story already. Such good ideas on your brainstorming. I am excited.

Grim Dreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »
WIM Week 3: CP Round

Part 3: 3rd Draft

After processing feedback and thinking through the changes, here is my story incorporating feedback and brainstorming.

Waiting to Jump

By R. Lee Fryar

Kenny was waiting for Batlady to jump. When she did, he would, too.

It would never happen. She was a painting among the motivational posters on the walls of Regen Corp's accounting division. He was an accountant, soiled in as much shit as upper management because he had a gift. Kenny could make auditors believe anything he said. With a little finesse he could work the same sleight-of-mind on anyone. Like the flustered, red-faced junior accountant working his way across the room right now.

Kenneth Oden. Fired.

His morning coffee chilled in his stomach. He'd recommended layoffs, and it was company policy to kill the messenger. HR had made the mistake, copying him on, but there was no mistake about his name in the email cached on his phone. First time he'd ever been glad for the ineptitude of a department that smelled like cheese puffs and body odor. In minutes, he and his life-in-a-box would be out of the building. He fingered the thumb drive in his pocket. Should have given the damned thing to the Feds last week when they'd invited him to squeal.

He glanced around the cramped office at his fellow shit-shovelers, but they were busy with their own piles. The motivational posters mocked him. To the west, a mountaineer dangling from Everest reminded him he couldn't do it. To the east, a peloton of bikers threatened to run him over if he tried. On the north wall, Batlady watched him with the eyes of a woman who understood his position. Facing her future, she gazed out across an abyss, torch in hand, nailed to her perch, frozen in the kind of despairing truth that leaves no room for emotions. Kenny understood the look. He felt it breeding on his own face as he accompanied his junior accountant to the door, accepted his condolences, and then calmly swiped the man's keycard.

He'd jump, but he'd come back by night to do it. No one else needed to know. Not like he was saving lives after all.

Kenny returned by the dingy light of the streetlamps to fire himself. The alternative was waiting for the firing squad to do it. He told the security guard the cardboard box was for a few things he'd left behind. The man believed him. People always did. In the box, Kenny carried his death--a tightly sealed gas can.

Ascending by elevator to the ninth floor, images of his childhood raced through his mind--cold days on the farm helping his father with the sheep, warm days digging the garden with his mother. At least that was honest work. Lying paid better, but now those lies would kill him.

Batlady cut her eyes at him as he walked in. Sometimes he thought whoever painted the petite woman in the batwing cape had actually imprisoned her soul. He'd once asked a fellow manager what the painting was worth. It was painted by an accountant, the man said, a former controller. What did he think? Kenny knew better than to say what he thought. It was the only authentic thing in the place. He loved truth when he saw it, even pinned like a dead butterfly to a card.
He sat at his desk and opened the gas can. The fumes escaped with a desperate gasp. Only one person in the world would witness his redemption and understand it.

He raised his unlit match like a torch. "Well, my lady?"

She jumped. Her cape became tattered wings, her feet trailed blood like streamers. She was screaming. He couldn't hear it. The glass stopped the noise. But her face broke with fear, her poise shattered forever by the kind of desperation that drives a person off the ledge of their life. She tumbled end over end in an eternity of blue. No bottom. No sudden stop to end it all. Forever freefall.

Kenny couldn't bear it. He raced across the room, tore the picture off the wall, and smashed the glass on the nearest desk.
"Grab on, I'll catch you!" He thrust his arms into the picture.

She hurtled past him, flailing, shrieking his name. He thought he'd lost her. Then she tumbled past again, top of the frame to the bottom. A sudden weight on the end of his wrists jerked him forward. Her shriek became a terrified whimper.

"Don't let go," she said in a tight voice. "Kenny, please."

"Can you climb?"

"If you help me."

Pulling upward, he dragged her to the edge of the frame. She cried when her bleeding feet raked over the broken shards of her prison.

"Why did you wait so long?" he asked. "I would have jumped sooner."

She stared up at him, weary, windblown, almost as jaded as he. "I was waiting for you," she said.

They left the building together. Kenny carried the gas can in one hand. His lady held the other, leaning against him for support, limping. His shoes were too big for her, but she walked bravely, a faint smile painted on her face. No one stopped them. The cloak had disguised her before; now it was big enough for them both. In the folds, she carried the thumb drive with the files he already had. As for the rest, she knew it all. SEC undercover work was a bitch, but she'd been a controller at the company before. Regan Corp. was doomed from the moment Kenny came to work for them. She loved integrity when she saw it, even trapped under filthy lies.

Now, they live together on a farm in Oregon. Kenny grows organic vegetables and raises sheep. He'll never lie for his living again. Batlady cards wool, spins thread, and weaves batwing capes for those who would change their look, and possibly their lives. Kenny still calls her Batlady. She says he can call her whatever he wants. He saved her.

He knows the truth. She saved him.

Notes:

Time to process the feedback and brainstorm--30 minutes on finding the consensus remarks, and closer to 60 minutes of brainstorming, which mostly involved letting those ideas percolate while I was working on another story. I usually work on multiple projects at the same time. It's efficient for me, and makes me happy.

Time to rewrite: 180 minutes

Time to edit that revision to final: 30 minutes

Total: 300 minutes.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 04:31:06 PM by Grim Dreamer »

arianascribbles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 03:30:04 PM »
Random super powers, corporate espionage, love in watercolours. This has me so hard  :heart:

Fabierien

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 12:49:11 AM »
*standing ovation* So good. Well done. One question, why would Kenny suggest layoffs if the company policy was to kill the messenger?

Grim Dreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 03:02:17 AM »
For verisimilitude, and because he didn't think he'd get fired for making the company look good. Believe me, I'd love to work that concept in, but readers didn't quite get it. It was an accounting joke--he thought they understood the concept when he presented it, but they didn't get it. Like the line, "He wasn't saving lives after all", it's something that made my accounting adviser really happy.
But I'm thinking about dropping the kill the messenger line and all the possible things the company will do (like firing being actually carried out by a firing squad) in favor of a touch more interiority about why Kenny didn't already spill his secrets to the feds, and chooses to die rather than go to them with what he knows. Only Batlady convinces him that the truth really will set him free.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 03:08:29 AM by Grim Dreamer »

Fabierien

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 08:57:07 PM »
It definitely raised my eyebrows. This was by far the best draft for me, the image was much clearer. I had no questions about the room or the layout. The motivations felt great. This was so good.