Writer In Motion Forum

Author Topic: Putting the Tertiaries to Rest - Final Thoughts  (Read 857 times)

Cobalt

• A scientifically blue void
  • Big fan of giant squids and brains
    • View Profile
Putting the Tertiaries to Rest - Final Thoughts
« on: September 05, 2020, 08:40:28 AM »
When I first heard about Writer in Motion, I'd misread the signup date as June instead of July and then spent an extra month wondering if I'd have a chance to do it after my mistaken date came and passed, but it only made me more excited at the chance! I love flash fiction, my writing is usually on the short side anyway and that came through in the fact that I never hit 1k in the entire Writer in Motion process and yet, it kind of worked to my advantage now.

I went rather silly with my piece, the character rebelling against the creator as a conduit for me rebelling against the prompt. I'd had doubts about it throughout, of whether it was too meta to be interesting and how it would look next to the other more thought-out pieces, but the responses I got were laughter and understanding, taking me completely by surprise!

I'm very grateful to my CPs and editor, who all gave me something to think about with this piece, where to buff it up and where it actually works as it is and where they realized just what was going on. I realized I need to work on wrangling my own characters and fighting through that writing block to stay in the perspective, or else Jesse just might get me; is learning that too meta too? I don't know anymore.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 08:42:45 AM by Cobalt »
On twitter @izzyvarju