Writer In Motion Forum

Author Topic: First Draft: An Ill-Conceived Wish  (Read 1067 times)

NysseRae

• I am a Writer In Motion
    • View Profile
First Draft: An Ill-Conceived Wish
« on: August 05, 2020, 05:38:50 PM »
Here is my first draft! I had fun with colour-coding my paragraphs as I wrote them to try and show the drafting process.

https://nyssarae.wordpress.com/2020/08/05/writer-in-motion-week-1-first-draft/

dankoboldt

• Writer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • Science in Sci-fi, Fact in Fantasy
Re: First Draft: An Ill-Conceived Wish
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 05:54:43 AM »
Nicely done, Nyssa Rae! The opening really drew me in. I didn't realize what the colors meant until I saw how thoroughly you documented your drafting process. How cool that you shared that level of detail.
Dan Koboldt
dankoboldt (at) gmail [dot] com
Creator of THE TRIANGLE, a sci-fi adventure series (Serial Box, April 2019)
Editor of Putting the Science in Fiction (Writer's Digest, October 2018)
Author of Gateways to Alissia (Harper Voyager 2016-2018)

Vickywrites

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 06:13:27 AM »
Love this idea! Great set up, I especially liked it when the genie-esq character had to remember how to smile. Interesting to see your non-linear approach via the colour coding too. Looking forward to the revised draft!

SKaeth

• WIM Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Space Cows
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 03:50:07 PM »
I love the way you color-coded your timeline of writing and explained your process! Very cool! And your story is so imaginative. I'm very much looking forward to seeing your editing process!

Fariha Khayyam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 04:39:44 PM »
loved that ending and the drafting process details, great idea!

NysseRae

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 11:36:40 AM »
Nicely done, Nyssa Rae! The opening really drew me in. I didn't realize what the colors meant until I saw how thoroughly you documented your drafting process. How cool that you shared that level of detail.

Thank you, that's great to hear! I wondered if the colours might be confusing, haha, but I'm glad to hear the notes helped make sense of it!

Love this idea! Great set up, I especially liked it when the genie-esq character had to remember how to smile. Interesting to see your non-linear approach via the colour coding too. Looking forward to the revised draft!

Thanks! That's one of my favourite parts too - trying to show how the genie character might look human, but she isn't really.

I love the way you color-coded your timeline of writing and explained your process! Very cool! And your story is so imaginative. I'm very much looking forward to seeing your editing process!

I'm glad you liked the colour-coding! I've always thought my writing process is a bit weird, so I thought it would be interesting to try and show it. And thank you!

loved that ending and the drafting process details, great idea!

Thank you! I wasn't sure the ending would have the impact I wanted, so I'm glad to hear you liked it!

Erin Fulmer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 06:25:21 PM »
Love the color-coding to highlight your process. Very interesting magical concept here--loved the index card. It reminded me a bit of Anya from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I think you're right about fleshing out the occupant of the cabin--I was wondering if the lack of description was intentional. I look forward to seeing how you refine this!

Jeffrey Ricker

• Writer of weird things
    • View Profile
    • Jeffrey Ricker, writer
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 01:08:27 AM »
Really liked the vivid sensory detail: the feeling of the grass beneath toes, the sounds of the insects, the smell of the grass. And getting a glimpse into your process via the colour coding is fantastic.
Jeffrey Ricker (he/him)
I write books and stuff:
The Unwanted (YA fantasy)
Detours (Contemporary LGBT)