Writer In Motion Forum

Author Topic: Initial Impressions  (Read 1114 times)

SaraTBond

• I am a Writer In Motion
    • View Profile
Initial Impressions
« on: August 02, 2020, 06:19:52 AM »
Honestly, I don't know how much I'll be able to keep up with this month's Writer In Motion. I have two kids, one of whom is starting digital learning at home this month, the other who thinks herself a full adult at 2 years old. I am struggling to find any moments within the day to devote to the two books I'm writing, on top of all of my day-to-day responsibilities.

And yet.

Some of my greatest friends are involved in this project each iteration: from editors to writers to promoters. I know so many people who have found inspiration in the prompts and the process of this experiment. I think it's beyond time I dove into the deep waters of WIM and find my own inspiration.

I obviously haven't written anything complete yet. We've only just been given the prompt, and I still have other projects in the works.

But I have thoughts. Here they are: https://www.saratbond.com/post/writers-in-motion-week-0 I hope they turn into something more substantial than the impressions I've come up with just tonight.

LogThatData

• Not the Log Lady or Data, but almost neither
    • View Profile
Re: Initial Impressions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 09:19:35 AM »
Interesting response to the image! Can't wait to see where it takes you!

K. J. Harrowick

• Administrator
  • Insta-gator
    • View Profile
    • K. J. Harrowick
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 02:27:08 PM »
Am I one of those friends?

Am I?

Am I?

;D :dragon:

I'm so excited you're joining us because you're such a badass writer.  EVERYONE GO BUY SARA'S AWESOME FIREFLY-INSPIRED SF!

And don't worry about the kids. Just warn them if they get out of line that the goats are watching.

Seriously though, I can't wait to see what you cook up.

SaraTBond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 04:12:25 AM »
Kat, it is ABSOLUTELY your fault that I'm doing this at all, and you know it. Don't even play.

And somehow, now that I've deleted Twitter and Facebook, I'm actually finding time to do the majority of the things on my To Do list. Funny how that works. I'm about to go add some thoughts on this post to my blog on my site, but I'll come back and post them up here, too. (Don't really care about driving traffic to the blog, and I'd rather engage people here for this. :))

Love and tacos, my dragons!  :heart: :taco: :dragon:

SaraTBond

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 04:33:49 AM »
The whole point of this project is to be open about the process: how writers get from initial impressions and ideas to fully polished stories, so I'm going to try to post at all the stages, even if it means multiple posts a week. Full blown accountability here, y'all.

Anyway, a few days ago, the initial post was put up, and I gave some of my initial impressions. I logged ideas of escape, respite, hope and promise, and connected it to the pagan holiday of Lughnasadh. In it people are celebrating abundance, a good harvest, but always with the knowledge that the days are diminishing, and that our crops will be dying if we don't harvest now. It's a time of preparation for the lean days ahead.

That gave me a feeling, but there's no character, no story.

Today, I spent some time coming up with potential characters. I wanted someone who is either about to experience a great loss or already has. I wanted the loss to be deeply personal, a loved one: a partner or a child. They would need a retreat to remember why they do what they're doing.

Maybe the character even goes out there with their loved one. They want privacy, an escape, somewhere to die alone, away from hospitals, or records. Ooh, they want to die off the record. There's a reason deaths are being recorded, held against the living. The loved one doesn't want the main character to suffer when they are gone, so they have to die in the middle of nowhere.

Now we're getting somewhere. I don't know exactly what the reasons are that someone has to go out to the wilderness to die, and who my character is, and how they react to this situation. I do know that the loved one dies and is buried beneath the flowers. Their body will fertilize this beauty, even if the only person who gets to see it is my main character.

The character has experienced an initial harvest, but it just a portent of the lean times ahead. This is their respite, for work still lies before them.

I'll spend the next few days fleshing out this idea. Wish me luck!

K. J. Harrowick

• Administrator
  • Insta-gator
    • View Profile
    • K. J. Harrowick
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 02:10:42 PM »
Kat, it is ABSOLUTELY your fault that I'm doing this at all, and you know it. Don't even play.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This is my favorite message ever.

They want privacy, an escape, somewhere to die alone, away from hospitals, or records. Ooh, they want to die off the record. There's a reason deaths are being recorded, held against the living. The loved one doesn't want the main character to suffer when they are gone, so they have to die in the middle of nowhere.

OMG.... you know how excited I am to see your story, but this concept has me all WRITE THE BOOK! Death held against the living...  :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

dankoboldt

• Writer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • Science in Sci-fi, Fact in Fantasy
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 03:54:50 AM »
It sounds like fate is clearing the way for you to do this, Sara! Sounds like you've got some juices flowing on it... looking forward to reading your piece!
Dan Koboldt
dankoboldt (at) gmail [dot] com
Creator of THE TRIANGLE, a sci-fi adventure series (Serial Box, April 2019)
Editor of Putting the Science in Fiction (Writer's Digest, October 2018)
Author of Gateways to Alissia (Harper Voyager 2016-2018)

SKaeth

• WIM Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Space Cows
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 12:10:18 AM »
I love the thought you put into this! And I'm so glad Kat dragged you into these shenanigans! She's the best bad influence. 😂

"There's a reason deaths are being recorded, held against the living. The loved one doesn't want the main character to suffer when they are gone, so they have to die in the middle of nowhere."

Oh this sounds amazing! I'm super excited to read it!

SaraTBond

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 03:36:50 PM »
All right. I think I figured out the background mystery, and why my character is hiding the death of a loved one. Now I just need to find time to write and figure out EVERYTHING else, including how to write a story that is a third as long as most of my chapters. That may be the challenge for my revisions.