Writer In Motion Forum

Author Topic: THE LIGHTHOUSE  (Read 1441 times)

Helena

• I am a Writer In Motion
    • View Profile
THE LIGHTHOUSE
« on: August 02, 2020, 03:57:35 PM »
Hartley didn't trust the air mattress. He had swept the rough wooden floor free of dirt and dead bugs as best he could and laid a tarp on it, but still. Air mattresses had a way of springing a leak just when you'd gotten comfortable and thought you could finally rest. He'd purchased a cheap sleeping bag that he'd laid atop it. It wasn't the Hilton, but it would do.

Outside it was still daylight but the crickets had already begun rubbing their wings together. Some people called it night music, the racket they made, he called it a bunch of horny insects. He was a city boy at heart, always would be. Well, suburbs anyway. That's all he'd ever wanted: a nice house in the suburbs, decent cars to put in the garage, a family. Same thing his old man had. Same thing everyone told you you were supposed to want.

He watched as white smoke curled up from the orange tip of the cigarette on the card table and drifted through the open door. He couldn't bring himself to actually smoke the damn thing and the smell was making him sick to his stomach. He'd quit a ten-year habit seven years ago. Janie had been on him. "We've got a son now", she said. "Do it for him." And so he had. He'd given up smoking for Hartley Jr., and for Janie and for the family everyone had told him he was supposed to have.

Except he didn't have a family anymore. Janie had up and left him for a woman she met on the internet. And don't that beat all? Don't that just take the fucking cake? How's a man supposed to hold his head up after that? He'd come home from work and there was a note and clothes thrown about the bedrooms and money missing out the bank account. Just like that it was as if he'd been erased from his own life.

What was he doing here? His grandfather had called it the Lighthouse. It was an old wood cabin really, that Granddad had covered in stucco and that his father always said he would restore and never did. When the sunlight through the mountains hit it just right the whole building lit up, glowed soft and golden.  Looked like the kind of place that could lead a man home. Keep him from dashing himself against the rocks. It was the first place he'd thought of when he needed to get away, when he knew he couldn't stay in that house with the scented candles and throw pillows and Thomas Kinkade paintings one more minute. He'd thought about ripping and breaking them all, just leave them torn and smashed on the floor as if a stranger had broken in, rifled through all his belongings, taken everything that was valuable and destroyed any hope for what was left behind. But Janie might come back and if she did, Hartley Jr. could get cut. A man protected his child. And Hartley Pierson was a man.

He would fight for HJ. Of course he would. He would fight for custody with everything he had. He was his son, dammit! You don't take a man's son! He'd believed everything Janie told him. That damn woman had been in his house. Ate at his table! Janie said she was part of her online writing group. They critiqued each other's stories. She was helping her be a better writer, Janie said. But all that bitch was doing was helping herself to what was his. Now she had his wife and his son and he was the one with the sad and sorry story.

Hartley got up and walked outside. He needed fresh air. About a hundred feet behind the cabin was a sheer drop-off.  He walked near the edge of it and closed his eyes. He could remember standing out here as a little boy with his grandfather, his hand in the old man's, staring out at the mountains and the valley between them. The view was breathtaking, but a part of Hartley was always afraid of falling. He'd squeeze his grandfather's hand as tightly as he could and his grandfather would tell him that one day the cabin and piece of property would be his and a man could never be afraid of what was his. He had to claim it and own it. Yes, all this was his, he thought now. His grandfather was long dead and his own father had died two years ago in a car accident. This all belonged to him. He claimed it. Hartley stepped a little closer to the edge and threw his arms out as if to embrace it all. Some loose rocks skittered out from beneath his feet. Terrified he flung himself backward, lost his footing and landed hard on his rear end. He scrambled to his feet and went back into the Lighthouse.

He'd bought a bottle of Jack Daniels when he'd gone shopping for the other supplies. He wanted to cry and he thought the JD might help. Men didn't cry. At least not a sober man. A drunk man might be forgiven for crying, though. A drunk man might be forgiven for a lot of things. She had told him she loved him all those nights--years--she had lain beneath him. She had called it love so he called it love too and believed it like a good man was supposed to do. The sun was sagging in the evening sky. Soon he would be alone in the darkness and quiet. The dark would close in on him and the quiet would be deafening and his own thoughts would gnaw at him until they ate him alive. Outside, in the fading light, the stucco walls began to turn from gold to rust. Fireflies flitted among the lush greenery like pinpricks of hope. Inside, Hartley lit a candle and put it in the window.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 05:09:00 PM by Helena »

ShaynaGrissom

• View Profile
Re: THE LIGHTHOUSE
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 07:01:59 PM »
There's some great imagery here. Looking forward to seeing refined.

Erin Fulmer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:56:43 AM »
Gorgeous descriptions!

Helena

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 07:05:55 AM »
Thank you both for your encouragement. Revision and refinement has always been a nightmare for me with flash fiction so even I am curious to see what I can do with this.

Vickywrites

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 07:28:32 PM »
Oh Hartley, I just want to give him a big hug!  :heart: Beautiful imagery, I particularly like the second-to-last line about the fireflies.

SKaeth

• WIM Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Space Cows
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 02:00:42 AM »
What a moving first draft! You did amazing work evoking emotion, and I love the connection with the candle in the window and the Lighthouse! I'm eager to see how you polish it!

dankoboldt

• Writer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • Science in Sci-fi, Fact in Fantasy
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 05:35:56 AM »
Lovely story -- the sudden F-bomb was perfectly placed! Good luck with your next stage!
Dan Koboldt
dankoboldt (at) gmail [dot] com
Creator of THE TRIANGLE, a sci-fi adventure series (Serial Box, April 2019)
Editor of Putting the Science in Fiction (Writer's Digest, October 2018)
Author of Gateways to Alissia (Harper Voyager 2016-2018)

Helena

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 07:53:16 AM »
Thank you all for your encouraging words. I'm curious as to how I'm going to polish this too. That is always hardest for me, particularly with a thousand word limit. I always feel I have so much more I want to add so readers can see the same picture I see in my head. But that's what I came here to learn. Here's hoping I learn it well.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 04:41:17 PM by Helena »

Helena

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 05:19:34 PM »
I am having so many thoughts about this piece. There's stuff I want to add, but to add it some words will have to die. Is the sacrifice worthy? This is always like Sophie's Choice to me. That's why an amazing editor is so important. They can help nudge (shove) you in the direction you  need to go in. I wish I had enough of a word limit to add a little humor as well, because there is humor in everything, even in grief.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 12:26:01 PM by Helena »

Helena

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 08:32:19 PM »
As I struggle with what to trim and what to add, I constantly remind myself of my hard and fast rule: Always leave them wanting more. Even though there is little action in my story, I want the reader's imagination to conjure what happens next based on their own life experiences. I want there to be as many questions as answers because life is like that.

Helena

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 08:51:38 PM »
Ha! Just came upon this quote by one of my fav authors:

?Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.? ?Antoine de Saint Exupery

Helena

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 12:23:40 PM »
I knocked my first draft out quickly. It just seemed to flow as if I were there with Hartley, experiencing what he felt (I love when that happens). But I think I will be among the last each week to post my revisions simply because that is the hardest part for me and the time when all the doubts about my writing creep in. I look forward to learning from my fellow writers-in-motion how it's done.

Jeffrey Ricker

• Writer of weird things
    • View Profile
    • Jeffrey Ricker, writer
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 01:08:41 AM »
Wow. This is just beautiful. I love the imagery and the language and the sense that this character has reached the end of his rope here. It's such a strong first draft that it'll be interesting to see how it changes.
Jeffrey Ricker (he/him)
I write books and stuff:
The Unwanted (YA fantasy)
Detours (Contemporary LGBT)

Helena

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 03:04:34 PM »
Thank you so much for your kindness about my WIP. I hope in the editing and revision I do not fail you.