Writer In Motion Forum

Author Topic: First Draft: Headhunters  (Read 894 times)

Space

• wanna go to space
  • Dad, are you space?
    • View Profile
First Draft: Headhunters
« on: August 05, 2020, 04:29:45 AM »
My first draft has a lot of weird formatting which this site strips out if I try to copy it over. And since I won't be redoing the formatting of every single edit in BBCode, which would take hours, I am instead posting a google docs link for anyone who would like to read my very strange adventure.

Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CsE_NRHki7pT5UUjYO2twJ0wQJXgb8fnms4FH0EfP7w/edit?usp=sharing

Thoughts on the Process:

So I clearly went off the rails with this one, lol. I decided if I was going to think outside the box, may as well go way outside the box. Did it work? I don't know! Did I have fun writing it? Hell yeah.

It's 1125 words, which I think is a reasonable length and shouldn't be too hard to trim down to 1000. I?m an edit-as-I-go type of writer, so there?s not a ton of typos or anything in here, but I did try to limit the amount that I reread and rewrite as I was drafting, so next week when I edit I'll have more to work with. I?m also definitely the type to write long intro and then realize I am nearing the end and have to speed things up to get beneath the wordcount, hahaha. So I know pacing edits will be happening as well.

Why the colors, you ask? I don't know! I thought it would be funny before I started doing all the rainbow text and then began to regret everything in life. But I am nothing if not stubborn. Apparently this forum is too old school to accept formatting when pasting text, soooo google link it is.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:07:48 AM by Space »

dankoboldt

• Writer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • Science in Sci-fi, Fact in Fantasy
Re: First Draft: Headhunters
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 05:39:42 AM »
The rainbow colors did make me die inside a little bit, but I enjoyed this... especially your MC's array of badass weapons. Good luck with the revision!
Dan Koboldt
dankoboldt (at) gmail [dot] com
Creator of THE TRIANGLE, a sci-fi adventure series (Serial Box, April 2019)
Editor of Putting the Science in Fiction (Writer's Digest, October 2018)
Author of Gateways to Alissia (Harper Voyager 2016-2018)

SKaeth

• WIM Moderator
  • I am a Writer In Motion
    • View Profile
    • Space Cows
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 03:30:55 PM »
Oh my gosh this was hilarious. The rubber ducky! I love it. Looking forward to seeing your revisions!

Vickywrites

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 05:00:05 AM »
This made me crack up, utterly mad in the best of ways! Can?t wait to read the next draft   :)

Erin Fulmer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 06:21:08 PM »
Innovative use of color! I don't think I've seen anything like that before to denote dialogue. I did struggle to read the yellow text (old eyes...) I'm curious to know more about the internal logic of the surreal world you've imagined. Looking forward to seeing how it develops!