Writer In Motion Forum

Author Topic: CP Version: Smoke on the Water  (Read 521 times)

KristenH

• I am a Writer In Motion
    • View Profile
CP Version: Smoke on the Water
« on: August 01, 2021, 07:54:53 PM »
Special thanks goes to Megan, Dani, and Johanna for helping me out by making this short story better. My word count is down. I've slightly changed my ending to give it a romantic hint of what's to come. Enjoy!

Smoke On the Water

On a clear spring morning, I walked along the long pier at Washington Park Beach, the waters of Lake Michigan lapped at the shore, Foamy waves carried a scattering of seashells to decorate the sand. I?d received a special assignment from the National Historical Society to design an overload appliqu? for the annual BalloonFest in Astor Fields next month. They?d given me permission to tour the automated lighthouse. Lucky for me, I wasn't afraid of heights.
Lighthouses had always fascinated me for ever since I was a young girl  From my previous research on Michigan City Lighthouse & Pier, I?d gotten the gist of how tall and wide the lighthouse would be to apply on  the nylon fabric for the balloon.  I pretended to faint.  My pulse soared like a surfer riding a wave when the local newspaper mentioned my name in that article. At the entrance, I typed rough estimates for the pre-cut design. Instead of the usual red-and-white stripes, I etched a light composition on the canvas like an artist painting their seascape. My heartbeat slammed inside my chest as I?d worked on the design. When I finished, I unlocked the doors to the lighthouse with the master key.
Inside the lighthouse, I climbed the spiral staircase to the elevated catwalk. Out-of-breath, I reached the top and glanced at the large windows facing Lake Michigan to marvel at the view. ?Wow! I feel like I'm on top of the world?? I let out a soft chuckle and relaxed my shoulders.
Nothing but a sunny sky, a couple puffs of smoke. What the hell? I moved closer to the railing. Something buoyed along the tide. Smoke on the water.  I gasped at deflated hot air balloon that floated with broken suspension cords. I  dialed 9-1-1.
? 911, what's your emergency?" the operator asked.
"A hot air balloon has fallen into Lake Michigan. It's on fire."
"Where are you at?"
"Michigan City East Lighthouse and Pier."
?I?m sending EMS, police, and fire over your way within ten minutes. Your name??
?Thank you. Jillian Ross.? I headed toward the pier as I waited for help. Time was of the essence. Why was that balloon here unless it was an aeronaut from the Balloonfest.
I exited and sprinted toward the quiet beach. At the parking lot, I stashed my tablet inside my car and donned my wetsuit to stay warm from the chilly water. As a former senior lifeguard, I had phenomenal swimming and diving skills. It couldn't hurt to have a head start. I hurried to the vacant lifeguard stand and borrowed a pair of binoculars. I bit my lower lip and guessed the basket was at least fifteen feet away.
Sirens sounded in the distance. Like a buoy, somebody clutched onto the basket. I rushed toward the water?s edge before anyone could stop me.
"Hey miss. You should leave it to the professionals. Didn?t you call for help?"
I nodded and glanced at him. He dressed in a MCFD uniform. But I couldn't tell what rank and name appeared on his backside. I took umbrage at what he said: lifeguards weren't professionals. "Yes, I did. But this person needs our help. I'm a certified lifeguard and an all-star champion in collegiate swimming and diving...."  I didn't like to boost about my stellar athleticism which almost landed me a spot on the US Olympic team a dozen years ago.
He scoffed. "Yeah, right. Please step back and let us do our job. We'll get to the site faster without your interference."
 I opened my mouth and closed it shut. I would love to prove him wrong. "Wanna bet?.Officer."
"It's Lieutenant O'Dowd, Miss Ross. And you're on." He snickered.
O?Dowd? Wait a minute here. One of my survival camp instructors last fall had been named O'Dowd? I smirked. "Logan, we meet again. Meet you at the basket." I ran toward the shallow end and dove straight into the chilly water. No doubt, he groaned behind me and accelerated the fire/rescue boat.  I?d gotten the lead by a mere margin as I propelled myself forward with the freestyle stroke. I didn't notice the chill, but more swirling smoke wafted into the air from the sinking basket  as someone called for "help."
 Logan sped on the waves. I splashed Logan  when I approached the basket. This man  inside sported a black hooded jacket. Smoke consumed his face as he blocked it with his hand.
 I did my best to shrug off the shivers.Fire engulfed the hot air balloon.  A Coast Guard clipper doused the flame and tended to the injured man?s needs. A splash didn?t do much to smother this out-of-control blaze.
He smirked and folded his arms. "Not so fast. You've proven your point, and we'll take over from here. We don't want you to catch a cold.?
"I wanted to save a life... Lieutenant."
 ?Want a ride back to the beach?" He grabbed a towel and held it out for me when I climbed inside the boat to dry off. What a perfect gentleman. So gallant and chivalrous. 
My lips quivered. I frowned at the faded white, red, and blue colors from the hot air balloon. The fire smeared the design with a missing logo or emblem. I wrapped myself inside a warm towel as we sped past the clipper that gathered the balloon for evidence.
"Satisfied," Logan said. "But I don?t know what you were thinking or had to prove by swimming into cold water?"
"Nothing. Just wanted to save a life. I guess I did in a way." I remained quiet until we reached shore. "Thanks for the lift. See you around..Logan." I jumped out and tossed him his towel. I sprinted toward my car in the parking lot. Ten minutes later,  I drove away and headed toward my home in Valparaiso. A secret smirk crossed my face when I know we would meet again when our relationship would take flight like navigating a hot air balloon for the Balloonfest next month.