Writer In Motion Forum

Author Topic: Prompt Reactions  (Read 1013 times)

Dani Frank

• I am a Writer In Motion
    • View Profile
Prompt Reactions
« on: November 07, 2019, 06:55:28 PM »
So I realize this is out of order, but I forgot to post my initial thoughts. And I did have initial thoughts, so here they are. (If you haven?t read it yet, my first draft is already up, so go check that out)

When I first saw the prompt, I was at work listening to the audio book for ?She Said? and generally growing tired of the patriarchy. So when I saw a woman climbing up a building with a distress signal my first thought was nope. She is not here to save everyone. She is saving herself whether that means the village drowns or someone dies. I don?t even care. I want this woman to win in the end.
And that?s where my idea stuck for days. It was very frustrating. At one point I wrote a 500 word story that was some sort of cross between ?The lady or the Tiger? and ?The Power? told in second person plural and was super annoyed by it in the end and decided to start over.
Other people started posting their initial thoughts and I glanced at a few in the hopes of finding tools while avoiding plot ideas. That?s where I heard about creating an aesthetic on Pinterest. I?ve tried to create aesthetics using free stock photos before but trying to find a female fantasy character that actually looks like a badass warrior and not a wilting flower or dominatrix is depressingly difficult. I had so much fun on Pinterest and that?s when the idea of making her a pirate captain came into place.

Here?s a link to my Pinterest board
https://pin.it/cjd3tl7lspuo5o

After creating my board, the story kind of fell into place and I?m pretty excited to see where it takes me. So if you cancelled Johnny Depp because of partner abuse and super racist perfume then welcome back into the land of fantasy pirates without the moral guilt.
Happy writing!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:23:04 PM by Dani Frank »

PJPowell

• Patron saint of slumber parties
    • View Profile
    • Creatorology
Re: Prompt Reactions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 07:23:31 PM »
I love that you had such strong feelings and knowledge to start with. And I enjoyed looking at your Pinterest board!
Let's connect!
Twitter: @2PSays

K. J. Harrowick

• Administrator
  • Insta-gator
    • View Profile
    • K. J. Harrowick
Re: Prompt Reactions
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:27:09 PM »
I LOVE your Pinterest board! It's exactly what I imagine when I was reading your story. <3

Followed, followed, and followed! ^_^